Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hallow's Eve at the Old French Legation


Yourself and family are respectfully invited to attend
the funeral of Dr. Joseph W. Robertson,
from his late residence the French Legation
on Friday, October 29, 2010, at 6 P. M.


Step back in time 140 years to attend the funeral of Dr. Joseph W. Robertson, which was held at the French Legation on August 10, 1870. Learn about Victorian mourning practices and superstitions surrounding death. On October 29, 2010, visitors will be given candlelight tours of the Legation and regaled with stories of memento mori, the reminders of death and loved ones. Guests are also welcome to enjoy the grounds. The gates of the French Legation will open at 6 P.M. with tours running every twenty minutes until 8 P.M. Entrance to this special evening event is $3. Children are free.

The French Legation historic home will be dressed in mourning throughout the month of October. The French Legation is open for tours from 1-5 P.M. Tuesday through Sunday. The final tour of the day begins at 4 P.M. Admission is $5 for adults, $2 for students, and $3 for seniors.

1 Comments:

Blogger Betty Saenz said...

Very nice! I would love to come with my family. Sounds like a nice Hallow's Eve!! I love the fact that we are using candles!! I also love learning about old traditions and practices. I have studied grieving and death getting my degrees (Psychology and Mental Health) and now I am into green burials and practices. My family is buried on the same hill at the Oakwood Cemetary.

I plan to join the DRT soon as I am also a daughter of the Republic of Texas. My maiden name was Raetzsch (RÄTZSCH) and I am a descendant of Anton Pieper who is buried in New Braunfels' Comal Cemetary. Pieper helped found New Braunfels, Texas and at age 26 was sheriff of Comal County, Texas.

October 26, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

About Us | Contact Us | News & Events | Education | Get Involved | Take The Tour